The dream of giving birth itself is so enticing that women are ready to relinquish all their dreams to live that magical moment. However, more than 170 million women worldwide have endometriosis, a condition that makes getting pregnant a tough job. Currently, there is no cure for this condition. However, there are treatment options (Progestin therapy, hormonal contraceptives) available to manage symptoms such as pain and infertility. But, when it comes to combating the underlying cause of this condition, medical marijuana takes all the limelight. Precisely why women are seeking the support of cannabis using a medical cannabis card online.
Digging into some of the famous research articles we found that cannabis cannabinoids can treat endometriosis by-
- Halting the progress of cell proliferation
- Preventing the migration of cells
- Inhibiting vascular lesions
- Inhibiting the production of inflammatory molecules such as prostaglandins
- Modulating the immune system’s responses
- Relieving painful symptoms
But, how does cannabis combat different parameters of endometriosis? Keep reading, and you will know.
Medical Marijuana And Endometriosis- How Does it Help?
Most of the solutions available work mostly on masking the symptoms rather than its underlying cause. Contrary to that, studies suggest cannabis interacts with the endocannabinoid system. It is a system that’s present in the endometrial lining of the women. A few studies confirm that endocannabinoid deficiency might be causing endometriosis. So, medical marijuana would act like a “top-up” to replenish those compounds with its cannabinoids. Hence, the possibility of medical marijuana use as a treatment option for endometriosis, on a large scale, in the future is quite high.
But, how does it beat the symptoms of endometriosis?
Research shows that cannabinoids present in medical marijuana activate CB1 and CB2 receptors. So, in a way, cannabis can act as a significant contributor in providing anti-inflammatory effects. Another theory works around marijuana’s interaction with the GPR18 receptors. According to that, marijuana blocks the activation of this receptor and possibly prevents the migration of endometrial cells.
Marijuana And Endometriosis-The Research Studies
A study published in the Pain journal found that CB1 receptor agonists and antagonists have a role to play in increasing and decreasing hyperplasia associated with endo. Researchers suggested that ECS has a role in controlling abnormal growths too. So, consuming cannabis might help you to activate specific receptors to stop cells from multiplying.
Another study by the American Journal of Pathology, cannabis agonists can inhibit the endometrial tissue from increasing by activating specific CB receptors. Furthermore, a 2019 survey found that marijuana was reported as one of the best methods to reduce pain associated with endometriosis.
There was another study where a team of researchers studied mice with endometrial implants. They found that cannabis was able to relieve pain. Additionally, it helped manage the emotional or cognitive alterations associated with endometriosis.
Marijuana And Endometriosis-Ongoing Research
Since medical marijuana is still an illegal drug on a federal level, there is a lack of funding for conducting exclusive clinical trials. However, an Israeli company Gynica announced they would be conducting preclinical trials to see the effects of marijuana on women who have endometriosis. Their goal is to find the best combination to find a solution to this issue.
Dr. Holly Harris received grants worth $1.6 million to study the impact of cannabis on endometriosis. Another team of researchers from Spain is working on finding the role of marijuana as a pain-reliever. They will soon be launching a clinical trial for the same. The trial will potentially work on finding the relation between the therapeutic effects of THC and endometriosis.
Cannabis Treatment- Is it Effective?
By now, you will be wondering, should I proceed with the available pharmaceutical options? Or should I move ahead with the cannabis treatment? Undoubtedly, endometriosis is a painful process that makes it difficult for women to get pregnant. However, the same disorder is associated with psychological issues, as well. For instance, the inability to conceive induces anxiety, depression. And that ends up disrupting the normal course of a woman’s life.
Treatment options available come with a lot of side effects. Plus, they don’t guarantee any results as well. That’s why women often rely on self-management strategies such as dietary improvements or exercises. With cannabis, you have a chance to manage all the symptoms associated with endometriosis. Also, you have an opportunity to improve your condition since marijuana gives you the possibility of treating the underlying cause as well. So, obtaining a medical cannabis card online can turn out to be a lifesaver for you.
Cannabis Strains to Alleviate Endometriosis Symptoms
A lot of women are seeking support for cannabis for alleviating several endometriosis symptoms. Here are a few strains that are helping them manage their condition effectively.
- Harlequin is an ideal cannabis strain because of its potent pain-relieving action. However, it might not be available easily in the stores. Hence, if you find one, grab it instantly. It contains 11% CBD content with lower THC levels. So, it is helpful for patients who wish to avoid the euphoria. So, you can consume this strain and feel relaxed while being productive at work.
- Cannatonic is known for its high CBD content with a range of medicinal effects. Since it is a hybrid strain, it has effective pain-relieving effects while making it possible for you to manage endometriosis easily.
- Charlotte’s Web will help you to get on with your life without the fear of any “highs” because of its low THC content. Therefore, you can expect a pain-free day along with efficient mental health management. That is one of the most prominent issues associated with endometriosis.
- Afghan Kush is a powerful pain-reliever. However, since it is an Indica strain, it would be best if you medicate when you are home or ready to sleep. Doctors providing medical cannabis cards online often suggest their patients use this strain if endometriosis is not allowing them to have a good night’s sleep. It will give you a feeling of relaxation and will also help you manage your stress and depression.
Presently, women with endometriosis face a vicious cycle of intense pain, with only a few options available to manage it effectively. Even the OTC painkillers end up useless after some time. And surgery would cost you big time with no success guaranteed. The fact of the matter is higher officials across the world highly ignored the issue. However, the past few years have given a bit of hope to such women, thanks to medical marijuana therapy. So, obtaining a medical cannabis card online won’t be a wrong choice, after all.
In fact, some companies are coming up with products that can help women with endometriosis. For instance, Foria Wellness and Whoopi and Maya are among the few companies that are allowing women to use cannabis-infused products for relieving their endometriosis pain.
To sum it up, don’t let hormonal changes and pain break down your mind and body. Choose medical marijuana and live a carefree life yet again.